Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Crossroads Dancing on Bonfire Night


Poster designed by Edain O'Donnell

Edwina Guckian wrote: Hello all! I'm organising a Crossroads Dance on Bonfire Night, Sunday 23rd June, starting 8.30pm, outside McLoughlin's Bar, Effrinagh Cross - that's about 10 mins from Carrick-on-Shannon. I'd love to revive the crossroads dances that were huge here in the 1920s and 1930s. All musicians and dancers welcome!
• We'll all be dressing up in the style of the 1920s in Ireland if you'd like to join in! ... Hope ye can make it
• In Boyle many will fondly remember the fun, music and dancing to the "Goatskin Band" on Bonfire nights way back in the 1950s. As I remember those great nights, the band under the leadership of Annie Sharkey (Dudley's wife) on button accordion sat on a timber form below the Mockmoyne wall (close to Francie O'Connor's house), started playing before dusk, and later moved downtown to play at McDonagh's Corner ... please correct me if I am wrong  :-)